Inquest hears how Welsh expat died after motorcycle accident in Kenya

Michael Stephens
Michael Stephens died in a motorcycle accident in Kenya.

An inquest has heard how a Welsh expat died following a motorcycle accident in Kenya after being “forced” into oncoming traffic by a bus.

Pontypridd Coroners’ Court heard on Monday how 57-year-old Michael Stephens died while receiving emergency treatment for his injuries sustained in the accident last September. 

Recording a conclusion of death due to road traffic collision, coroner Graeme Hughes said: “On September 16, 2018, Michael Stephens was riding his motorcycle in the Nairobi area of Kenya when he was involved in a collision with other motor vehicles, the precise nature of which is currently unknown.

“He was treated at Karen Hospital in Nairobi but unfortunately succumbed to his injuries on the same day.”

Mr  Stephens was born in Cwmparc in the Rhondda Valley and attended Pentre Primary School and Treorchy Comprehensive. Initially working as a tool-maker, the father-of-two became a production manager in Bridgend with dart manufacturing company Nodor International.

He relocated to Kenya seventeen years ago after transferring Nordor’s production operation to the East African country.

A written statement from the deceased’s brother Leighton Stephens was read out in court, which said: “My brother was passing a parked bus in a lay-by. When he was approximately halfway past the bus pulled out into the path of the motorbike forcing him into oncoming traffic, causing my brother’s death.”

He went on to describe Mr Stephens as “well-respected” within the company and within the family as well as “cautious and careful in all walks of life”.

An autopsy report by Dr Johansen Odour recorded Mr Stephens had head and chest injuries due to blunt trauma which were consistent with a road traffic accident.

Coroner’s officer Lauren Hewitt summarised emails received from Mr Stephens’ wife Fauzia and brother which said the driver of the bus involved in the incident had not been identified.

“Leighton Stephens explained the family had been living in Kenya for several years. On the day Michael had been riding his motorbike alone, having been for a ride, when a bus pulled out in traffic, hit him and forced him into oncoming traffic. There was no CCTV and no witnesses,” she said, although she added that it is thought there could have been an American and Canadian tourist in the area at the time.

Mr Stephens is survived by his wife Fauzia, children Laura and Ely, and grandchildren Imogen and Evelyn.

Leave a Reply