Daniel Craig has put the James Bond casting rumours to bed by revealing he is returning as 007.
Following the announcement last month that the 25th movie in the long running franchise had been scheduled for 2019, speculation was rife as to whether the 49-year-old actor would reprise the iconic role of Ian Fleming’s secret agent.
But last night on The Late Show, Craig confirmed the news, answering with a point blank “Yes” when asked by host Stephen Colbert.
“I always wanted to, I wanted a break,” Craig added.
— The Late Show (@colbertlateshow) August 16, 2017
Earlier in the day, however, the actor told Boston radio program Morning Magic 106.7 that “no decision has been made at the moment.”
“There’s a lot of noise out there and nothing official has been confirmed and I’m not, like, holding out for more money or doing anything like that,” Craig said.
“It’s just all very personal decisions to be made at the moment. I know they’re desperate to get going and I would in theory love to do it, but there is no decision just yet.”
While promoting the last Bond movie, Spectre in 2015, Craig expressed reluctance to reprise his role, admitting he couldn’t think about a new Bond film at the time.
“Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists,” he told Time Out in a much publicised comment.
The as yet untitled 25th James Bond movie is scheduled for release in US cinemas on November 8, 2019 with a traditional earlier release in the United Kingdom and the rest of the world.