Dominic Troulan kills two gunmen who attacked him despite being shot

Dominic Troulan
Dominic Troulan

Former Royal Marine Dominic Troulan, who was recently awarded the George Cross for saving hundreds of people during the al-Shabaab Westgate mall terror raid, killed two people in self defence after they ambushed him in Kenya.

The 54-year-old was shot twice in the leg during the attack in Nairobi, where he now lives, after gunmen riding on a motorbike attacked him.

Although the attack happened a couple of months ago, the incident has become public knowledge after a friend of the security consultant told The Sun newspaper how Mr Troulan was walking by the road with a backpack, when two men on a motorbike pulled over, pulling out their weapons.

“Dom was walking along a road with a rucksack on his back, when two men on a motorbike passed him and pulled up.

“The passenger dismounted and approached Dom.

“There was a lot of shouting, and the two of them pulled their weapons simultaneously.

“Dom shot the first guy twice, and then the driver ran at him shooting, so he put a couple of rounds into him too.

“Both gunmen somehow got back on their bike and drove off, but crashed 500 yards down the road.

“Inquiries were made via our network, and it transpired both men died of their wounds soon afterwards.”

Despite being injured, Mr Troulan took himself to hospital, where he was operated on and the two bullets were removed.

Despite the violent nature of the attack, he does not believe he was being targeted by terrorists in revenge for his Westgate heroics, and that it was much more likely to be have been an attempted robbery gone wrong.

The Foreign Office have said they know Troulan, who lives in Nairobi, and know of the incident, but were not contacted by him after the shooting.

In the latest Queen’s birthday honours, Dominic was awarded the George Cross ‘for saving lives during the Westgate Shopping Mall terrorist attack in Kenya in 2013’.

The notes attached to the award read: ‘Dominic Troulan, a security consultant working in Nairobi, was contacted by a friend who asked him to go to the incident to try and locate the friend’s wife and daughter.