Gingerbread Christmas Trees as a season take on gingerbread men.
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Ready In: 50 mins
- 340g plain flour
- 4oz softened butter/margarine
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 190g golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 2oz icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C (375 Fahrenheit).
- Beat together the sugar and butter/margarine in a bowl using electric beaters until light and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup and sift in the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix until a rough crumb begins to form and then with your hands, work the mixture into a smooth dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for approximately 10 minutes until firm.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of cling film/baking parchment until they are 4mm (quarter-inch) thick (do not flour).
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter, or roll out small balls and flatten slightly onto a non-stick baking sheet or baking tray lined with parchment paper. Although they won’t spread a lot, don’t pack them too tightly onto the sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and then allow them cool on trays for a minute or two before removing to cool completely on wire racks.
- If you wish to ice your cookies, mix up a small quantity of icing using 1 egg white and 2oz icing sugar to decorate.